Job Title: Loads Engineer
Job Number: 158772/8755
Location: San Diego, CA
Assignment Length: contract
Job Summary General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Loads Engineer in our Mechanical Engineering Department. Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for determining and developing effective approaches for resolving a wide range of difficult engineering problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
•Responsible for performing loads analysis of aircraft components, assemblies, and systems.
•Loads analysis includes calculation of aerodynamic and inertial flight loads, landing, ground operations, and ground support equipment loads.
•Calculate loads by way of classical and computer methods, and develop new methodologies for load development.
•Generate documentation to support design and airworthiness certification.
•A working knowledge of JSSG, Mil-Spec, and FAA airworthiness requirements is advantageous.
•Experience with aeroelastic loads development, closed-loop flight control systems, in-flight testing, and explicit time domain analysis for loads development is desirable.
•Must be familiar with loads development, statics, dynamics, aerodynamics, stability and control, and vibrations.
•Must be familiar with gusts, landing simulations, and flutter.
•Typically requires a bachelor's degree, master's degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; Twelve or more years of experience with a bachelor's degree or two or more years of experience with a master's degree.
•Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
•Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
•Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one engineering area; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
•Must have the ability to perform FEA on composite airframes/structures.
•Desirable: Working knowledge of panel codes, NASTRAN, or ABAQUS software is preferred.
•Experience in the aerospace or related industry and with loads analysis and loads development experience.
•Desirable: Knowledge of aeroelastic systems, closed-loop flight control systems, flutter, and in-flight testing.
•Experience with Matlab, Excel, Visual Basic, panel codes, NASTRAN, ABAQUS, or other loads development software.
•Able to work extended hours as required.
• Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD.
• May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
• Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
• Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
• Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
• Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
• Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment. Able to work extended hours as required.
• A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.
City San Diego
Travel Percentage Required None
Clearance Required? No
Temp Assignment Duration (# of Days) 365
San Diego, CA
12 month contract
1275 N MANASSERO ST
ANAHEIM, CA 92807