Job Title: Systems Engineer
Job Number: 158760/11546
Location: San Diego, CA
Compensation: 52-58/hr max
Assignment Length: contract
• General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
• We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
• We have an exciting opportunity for a senior level Systems and System Test & Qualification Engineer (ST&Q). This position is located at our Poway, California location, supporting test and evaluation (T&E) and systems engineering activities on GA-ASI aircraft and ground control stations. The candidate will be interested in a fast-paced aviation environment, which still allows for a reasonable work/life balance.
• This position is responsible for testing and qualifying performance on unmanned aerial vehicle systems, as well as handling some of the typical roles performed by a Systems Engineer. As a member of this team, the candidate will support various programs from concept design through production aircraft test and qualification efforts. The candidate will create and review system design requirements, participate in software regression testing, develop flight performance scenarios, and pass/ fail criteria in the evaluation of aircraft, ground control stations and support equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Senior level candidate will hit the ground running and quickly learn the principles of GA-ASI products and processes
• Perform Test and Evaluation (T&E) activities under minimal supervision; will determine and develop various approaches to achieve T&E goals and help guide the completion of test activities
• Act as a test engineer during SIL, ground, and flight operations; test duties include system level T&E of hardware and software with emphasis placed on resource planning, conducting the required tests, and participating in technical test reviews
• Communicate clearly and in writing all facets of the system test program to include test plans, procedures and reports; may work with government aircrew and also be responsible for conducting pre-flight briefings and post-flight debriefings
• Develop effective approaches to resolving issues; support operation of engineering systems by documenting flight performance and evaluating solutions for improvement
• Troubleshoot and analyze systems in a lab and flight test environment
• Establish metrics for requirements traceability; perform data analysis and make technical presentations as required
• Analysis of interconnect diagrams, engineering drawings, schematics, and software releases
• Take part in a team effort to develop, lab test and qualify payload, ground station, ground support equipment and aircraft subsystems
• May directly track efforts including cost, schedule, manpower resources, maintenance intervals and performance
• May represent the organization in providing solutions to technical issues associated with specific projects
• Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Responsible for observing all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
• Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
• Senior level typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows nine years of experience with a bachelor’s degree or seven years of experience with a master’s degree; may substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education
• Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, aircraft principles, codes, and theory
• Previous flight test engineer with a qualification to perform tests for a military organization including prior
• Department of Defense (DOD) Developmental Test (DT) or Operational Test (OT) experience is highly desired
• Analysis expertise desired with an emphasis on data collection, ad hoc queries and suitability measures; experience with analysis tools such as MATLAB, LabVIEW, or other similar products
• Previous expertise and working knowledge of the National Airspace System and UAS operating rules and regulations thereof; prior civil flight experience or military aircrew desired
• Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly, apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment, organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases and determine the appropriate approach at the task, operational or depot level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems
• Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in multiple engineering areas, and lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks
• Able to work extended hours and travel as required
• Experience as a test conductor, test director, test pilot/navigator or formal leadership of a Combined Test Force (CTF) or Integrated Test Force (ITF) is desired
• Experience with Earned Value Management (EVM) or as a Control Account Manager (CAM) is desired
Qualifications Essential Qualifications
• Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD.
• May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education. Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
• Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
• Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
• Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems. Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Able to work extended hours as required. A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.
City San Diego
Travel Percentage Required 0% - 25%
Clearance Required? Desired
Work Schedule Rule 9/80
Temp Assignment Duration (# of Days) 365
San Diego, CA
6 month contract
1275 N MANASSERO ST
ANAHEIM, CA 92807