Senior Electrical Engineer, Spacecraft Command & Data Handling
This leadership position is for a highly-experienced electrical engineer who can lead the Command & Data Handling (CDH) subsystem team to define requirements, develop the architecture, implement the design, and verify the subsystem for a spacecraft.
What You’ll Do
- CDH technical lead - This position is 70% technical and 30% management.
- Work daily with the larger CDH team on technical definition, implementation, and verification.
- Establish strong working relationships with system engineering team, integration and test team, and peers for the other spacecraft subsystems.
- Prepare and manage subsystem architecture and interfaces. A strong hardware backgrounds is required.
- Generate verification and validation plans, and work with Integration and Test team to ensure the subsystem meets requirements.
- Present architecture, implementation, and verification to customer.
- Collaborate with the spacecraft system engineers on technology insertion into new bus architectures.
- Extensive technical writing (Proposal development, Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Current Top Secret/SCI security clearance required.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in electronics or avionics subsystem design or test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of requirements definition, decomposition, and flow-down, architectural trade studies, architectural and interface definition, hardware specifications, interface control, analyses, and verification.
- Knowledge of electronics designed for EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large team work environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED