PDS Tech is seeking candidates to fill a Buyer position in Rochester, NY
Position Summary And Key Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Procurement Manager, the Buyer III primary responsibility will be managing the day to day materials planning and placement of purchase orders for the assigned commodities. The person will also support cost reduction strategies, participate in supplier negotiations, purchase agreements, new source identification and selection, and manages supplier relationships. This position works closely with operations, planning and R&D to facilitate and implement cost reduction projects by leveraging other internal business units and sourcing to effectively drive cost out of the supply chain.
- Utilize Material Requirements Planning (MRP) to plan and execute purchase orders.
- Manages materials supply and inventory levels for product line(s), planning and purchasing for material requirements and ensuring flow of materials to meet manufacturing goals.
- Understands and communicates component specifications to suppliers, including the ability to read drawings to determine dimensions, tolerances, and Incoming Quality Control (IQC) points.
- Work with key stakeholders to optimize inventory levels.
- Work closely with corporate global trade and logistics to update and maintain required compliance code in ERP system for all parts.
- Responsible to review ECO and work closely with suppliers and internal teams to update required data and communicate effectively.
- Locate, evaluate, negotiate, and select suppliers and potential suppliers to gain the best quality, cost and delivery of purchased material consistent with required standards.
- Strong analytical skills to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions i.e. Review procurement history and usage to determine safety stocks.
- Leads purchasing activities with manufacturing, engineering, and project management to identify alternative suppliers.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently towards defined goals, maintain procurement goals at highest level. Attention to details a must.
- Manage metrics to track overall success and effectiveness of procurement performance.
- Evaluate supplier performance and communicate with suppliers periodically.
- Participate in cross functional team meetings, execute and/or share all actions with team as required.
- Ability to understand market dynamics and develops/propose risk mitigation strategies.
- Strong customer service focus to enhance satisfaction, demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of supply chain programs (consignment, JIT, VMI, Kanban etc.) and ability to manage project and execution of these programs.
- Improves processes and creates efficiencies through lean initiatives (Practical Process Improvement) and project management.
- Drives cost savings and quality improvement projects.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing operations, business administration, operations management, purchasing, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- A minimum three years procurement experience, preferably in a high paced working environment. A good understanding of specified functional area.
- APICS certification is preferred.
- Some experience in a scientific environment or medical device field preferred.
- Project management and ability to develop strong support for change with all levels of internal and external organizations.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to make decisions and solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where standardization may be limited.
- Statistical analysis skills; able to analyze trends and statistical data and make appropriate decisions and recommendations.
- Self-driven, results oriented, and motivated to work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to interpret technical data and a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Knowledge of sheet metal, fabrication, electrical components, software and hardware procurement.
- Experience with ERP Systems (SAP Preferred) and strong skilled in MS office i.e. Excel, Word, Power Point and outlook.