PDS Tech is seeking candidates for an Automation Technician position in Fairport, NY
Under the general supervision of the Manager – Automation Engineering, the primary responsibility of this position is to support manufacturing with respect to automated and semi-automated post-molding equipment. This includes a variety of automated material handling, assembly, decorating and packaging systems.
Responsible for detailed communication with Supervisors & Maintenance about current state of automation related concerns. This also includes detailed communication with Automation Engineering on future department needs.
· Determines root cause of failures and problems with automation equipment.
· Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a broad manufacturing base
· Troubleshoot & support:
o Various PLC formats with heavy emphasis on Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI hardware and software: SLC, PLC, ContolLogix, Panelview
o A wide variety of automation technologies, including: Robots, Printing (Pad/Screen/Offset/InkJet), Ultrasonic Welders, Vision Systems, Leak Testers, Labelers, Capping Equipment, reamers & other finishing equipment.
· Works with equipment vendors to solve automation problems & increase self-knowledge.
· Interacts with molding setups & process engineering to solve component related issues & their effect on the automation process.
· Support Automation Engineering with installation of improvements & new Automation.
· Coaches Automation Associates in work centers supporting root cause troubleshooting.
· Develop / modify procedures & training guidelines as needed for automation processes.
· Read & modify electrical schematics as needed for automation equipment.
· Designs, sketches & dimensions improvements to existing automation systems
· Tracks & helps maintain automation data (stops, scrap, etc…) to support continuous improvement process. Uses PPI tools and Lean techniques to analyze data and improve processes.
· Associate’s degree in Engineering or a technical discipline. Equivalent experience may be considered, but only with a demonstrated record of self-development and continuous learning.
· 5+ years related automated equipment experience.
· Must have a very broad electrical and mechanical background, including hands on experience with PLC’s, robots, motion controls and associated programming software.
· Must have excellent troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communications skills.