The Power Electronics and Battery division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, power distribution systems, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking candidates to lead the high voltage battery systems development at our Los Angeles facility for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
- Lead battery cell selection and battery control system architecture and development. Ensure designs meet the functional, performance and safety requirements of passenger hyperloop systems.
- Lead battery cell testing and modeling. Develop cell performance trade-off and limits.
- Lead advanced BMS design and algorithms development.
- Lead battery system failure mode effect analysis and develop safety risks mitigation strategies.
- Develop design verification test plans, safety and standards compliance test plans.
- Develop product development plan, milestones, budgets, and scheduling.
- Stay abreast of the latest battery trends and technologies. Develop roadmaps for future projects and products to continuously advance HV battery pack performance.
- Build and maintain technical competency in the HV battery systems engineering team. Provide technical guidance and leadership.
- A strategist and a tactician: you can quickly establish trust with leaders and bring insightful communication counsel; you can map out comprehensive communication strategies and then roll your sleeves up to execute
- Team oriented: you’re a flexible collaborator who makes it safe for others to provide you with feedback and different perspectives; you desire to truly understand your teammates goals and needs.
- You demonstrate deep understanding of messaging, positioning and stakeholder needs; you wield the editorial scalpel judiciously, leaving texts healthier than you found them
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Hands-on experience with battery BMS development and verificaiton, using model-based control development methods.
- Hands-on experience with battery cell modeling and testing for model calibration.
- Thorough understanding of battery components and packs supply chain, and system level manufacturing processes.
- Cross-domain (electrochemical, thermal, electrical, electronics, structural) technical knowledge. Able to provide technical guidance to team members on what, why, and how.
- Strong managerial, planning, and communication skills.
- Experience of leading a team.
- 5+ years experience in large HV battery packs (> 50 kWh) development, from concept to market.
- Experience with battery packs thermal runaway and safety hazard mitigation verification tests.
- Strong battery cell electrochemistry knowledge.
- Strong battery system safety standards and compliance testing knowledge.
- Familiar with electrical circuit / control simulation software, such as Matlab/Simulink.
- Familiar with battery thermal models and analysis tools, such as Ansys Fluent.