PDS is seeking candidates for a Scientist I position in Carlsbad, CA
Key Objectives of the role:
- Responsible for manufacturing product(s) in a lab setting following standard operating procedures. Will utilize basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary to manufacture products.
- Will perform buffer preparation, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques. Will perform column purification/ chromatography
- Responsible for accurate calculations and protein purification techniques to yield sellable product including standards/ladders used for sds-page analysis
- Responsible for Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports and work order documents.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of product. Suggest options/ideas for corrective actions.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions. Complete, distribute and file records as required in accordance with Document Control Practices.
- Identify potential issues in the production process; report findings to team management and members for resolution. May participate in troubleshooting.
- May assist with process improvement projects or product transfer projects
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Minimum Technical Qualifications (must have):
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline.
- Requires a minimum of 1 year relevant experience demonstrating laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory. (Protein purification experience, especially with GE or BioRad FPLC, is a plus)
- Expert use of basic laboratory equipment including, centrifuges, scales/balances, spectrophotometers, pipettes, pH and conductivity meters.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of basic scientific laboratory techniques, including Buffer Preparation, Gel Electrophoresis, Western Blotting, Determination of Protein and Nucleic Acid Concentration.
- Theoretical understanding of protein chemistry, chromatography methodology and techniques, including basic protein/resin interactions.
Minimum Safety Qualifications (must have):
- Regularly required to lift up to 20 pounds. May be required to lift weight of 45 pounds or more, with assistance and/or with equipment on occasion.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
Minimum Profession Qualifications (must have):
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Follows and provides direction accurately and efficiently
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out scientific procedures
- Good problem solving skills in daily tasks
- Working knowledge of manufacturing related computer software (preferred)
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed.