The Technical Illustrator is responsible for creating technical illustrations of aircraft equipment, hardware, and systems by preparing views using a variety of software applications. Contributes to full suite of technical publication products, to include, but not limited to, airplane technical manuals, parts catalogs, and maintenance/flight operation procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Create technical illustrations of aircraft equipment, hardware, and systems by preparing views
(assembled and exploded) using a variety of software (CATIA, Cortona 3D RapidAuthor Suite,
Teamcenter PLM Visualization, etc.).
2. Clean up and finalize line art exported from 3D CAD using Adobe Illustrator.
3. Illustrate procedures for aircraft equipment installation, assembly, and repair from a variety of
resources, including 3D CAD models, engineering drawings, engineering reports parts lists,
digital photographs, sketches and actual parts.
4. Collaborate with technical writers, technical training developers, product engineers, manufacturing / maintenance personnel, and other internal resources to research and create illustrations and graphics.
5. Use PLM Database (TeamCenter) to research illustration requirements.
6. Ensure accuracy of content and manage illustration files.
7. Provide peer reviews and collaborate as needed with a team of technical writers/illustrators.
8. Other duties as assigned
Education, Work Experience and Certification:
1. Minimum of 3-5 years working in technical illustration.
2. Knowledge of aircraft systems.
3. Knowledge of technical documentation, including repair/service manuals, parts catalogs, operator manuals and installation instructions
4. Strong mechanical background and aptitude.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to create line art to illustrate aircraft parts and assemblies for use in aircraft technical manuals, parts catalogs and other related publications.
2. Experience using Adobe Illustrator software required. Experience using CorelDRAW Technical Suite and/or Right Hemisphere Deep Exploration / SAP Visual Enterprise is helpful.
3. Experience manipulating 3D models in 3D CAD applications (e.g., CATIA, SOLIDWORKS, ProENGINEER, 3DSTUDIOMAX, etc.) and exporting line art from 3D CAD models.
4. Experience in researching engineering data using a PLM data management system (e.g., Teamcenter, Windchill, etc.). is helpful.
5. Able to develop isometric technical illustrations from scratch using traditional technical illustration principles.Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office helpful.
6. Experienced in interpreting blueprints, detailed engineering specifications, and schematics (electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic).
7. Exhibit strong attention to detail and be an excellent communicator, verbally and through graphic visualizations.
8. Be able to work well independently or within a team in an open work environment.
9. Be able to meet tight deadlines with high quality work.
10. Ability to organize time efficiently and document progress of work through established methods.
1. Incumbents may be routinely exposed to equipment operational noise heat-cold-dust, and/or aircraft equipment, parts, or fuel odors.
2. Incumbents may be required to stand, sit, squat, walk, bend, climb ladders, move, reach, or stretch for prolonged time periods with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
3. Work in a safe and professional manner while adhering to all regulatory requirements (FAA, OSHA, DOT, EPA, State, and Federal regulations, etc.).
4. Read, hear, speak, and see with no restrictions, as required by job duties.
5. Comprehend and adhere to management directions and/or safety instructions with no restrictions.
6. Effectively communicate in Business English language.
7. Pull, push, carry, lift, or move items up to 10 lbs. throughout the work shift without assistance, as required by job duties.
8. Pull, push, carry, lift or move materials/people/items/equipment weighing up to 50 lbs or more during the work shift, with the use of Company provided “reach assistance technology” or “movement assist technology” (fork-lifts, pallet jacks, pulleys, dolly’s, robotics reach equipment, people movers, etc.), as required by job duties.