Description: PDS Tech is seeking a candidate for the Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer position located in Phoenix, AZ.
Engineer is to perform design and analysis on propulsion engines, APUs, and advanced technology programs, in one or more of these areas:
o Lubrication systems
o Air & oil seals
o Gears & splines
The scope of this position includes using state-of-the-art software tools and methods and supporting Technical Excellence Teams to capture and publish analysis practices and guidelines.
The position may involve test rig design, operation, and data collection & analysis.
Analytical results may be presented in design reviews and will be recorded in appropriate documentation to meet program deliverables and requirements. Applicant must work effectively with design teams, global support and chief engineers. Basic Qualifications:
• Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering;
• Minimum of 4-6 years’ experience in field.
• Due to export control restrictions, must be US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident of US.
• Advanced understanding and application of disciplines in one or more of these areas:
o Air & oil seals, lubrication systems (primary)
Tribology, fluid mechanics, aerodynamics and heat transfer
Classic fluid mechanics and heat transfer hand calculations
Experience using Excel and Mathcad to solve engineering problems
Familiarity with flow system finite-element modeling and analysis software
o Gears & splines (secondary)
Gears & power transmission
Kinematics & mechanisms
Strength of materials
Gear manufacturing processes
• Aptitude for mechanical designs and system conceptualization.
• Advanced problem solving ability.
• Strong oral, written and persuasive communication skills are required to interact with engineering teams and other disciplines.
• Capable of performing analyses and hand calculations for engine components and systems.
• Capable of conveying technical ideas and concepts through team discussions, presentations and in writing.
• Ability to work with teams to meet expectations of internal customers.
• Ability to facilitate interpersonal relationships, build networks, resolve conflicts tactfully & quickly, and positively influence others.
• Under minimal supervision, ensure that tasks are appropriately defined, supported and achieved in a timely manner.
• Quick learner, consistent performance and demonstrates a sense of urgency.
• Background in structural dynamics and rotordynamics is a plus.
• Familiarity with gas turbines and associated gearbox systems, seal technology, and lubrication systems is a plus.
• Familiarity with mechanical component rig testing is a plus.
• Knowledge of Six Sigma tools and application is a plus.