PDS is seeking candidates for a Scientist I position in Carlsbad, CA
Position Summary: Work in a team based environment to perform all tasks related to the production of purified proteins for use in research and commercial products for use in the life sciences industry. Complete all production in compliance with site Quality Management System and ISO 9001.
Key Objectives of the role:
- Responsible for manufacturing product(s) in a lab setting following standard operating procedures. Will utilize basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary to manufacture products.
- Will perform buffer preparation, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques. Will perform column purification/ chromatography
- Responsible for accurate calculations and protein purification techniques to yield sellable product including standards/ladders used for sds-page analysis
- Responsible for Batch Data Records, notebooks, customer reports and work order documents.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of product. Suggest options/ideas for corrective actions.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions. Complete, distribute and file records as required in accordance with Document Control Practices.
- Identify potential issues in the production process; report findings to team management and members for resolution. May participate in troubleshooting.
- May assist with process improvement projects or product transfer projects
- May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Minimum Technical Qualifications (must have):
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline.
- Requires a minimum of 1 year relevant experience demonstrating laboratory techniques in a manufacturing environment or research laboratory. (Protein purification experience, especially with GE or BioRad FPLC, is a plus)
- Expert use of basic laboratory equipment including, centrifuges, scales/balances, spectrophotometers, pipettes, pH and conductivity meters.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of basic scientific laboratory techniques, including Buffer Preparation, Gel Electrophoresis, Western Blotting, Determination of Protein and Nucleic Acid Concentration.
- Theoretical understanding of protein chemistry, chromatography methodology and techniques, including basic protein/resin interactions.
Minimum Safety Qualifications (must have):
- Regularly required to lift up to 20 pounds. May be required to lift weight of 45 pounds or more, with assistance and/or with equipment on occasion.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
Minimum Profession Qualifications (must have):
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others
- Follows and provides direction accurately and efficiently
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out scientific procedures
- Good problem solving skills in daily tasks
- Working knowledge of manufacturing related computer software (preferred)
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed.