The primary function of an Electrical & Mechanical RG technician is to lay out, build, update, test, troubleshoot, repair, and modify developmental and production vehicle electrical systems, components and power take off accessories, including chassis and cab wiring routing & clipping and HVAC systems functionality. The expectation is that the potential candidate will have adequate skills to be able to perform mechanical repairs and preventative maintenance on the RG vehicles as well as need arises.
- Perform work orders primarily related to electrical systems (part installs, inspections, repair, maintenance & service) on client’s Reliability Growth (RG) test vehicles (Class 5-8).
- Analyze failure modes and provide root cause analysis. Document complaints clearly and accurately. Contact Design engineering and other Product Validation groups to support troubleshooting & root cause evaluations
- Document, photograph, and report all claims relative to failures, malfunctions, and/or complaints in shop work order system (ManagerPlus)
- Support electrical system vehicle updates including but not limited to; Product Validation
- Requests (PVRs), engine repowers, and ground up builds
- Diagnose issues associated with vehicle electrical system hardware, wiring & software, and update to the required electrical hardware & software versions as required.
- Also be able to perform mechanical repairs, oil changes, preventative maintenance services, and minor/ major inspections on commercial vehicles (engine and chassis) as required.
- Support sustaining RG operations by working directly with the Vehicle Engineers, RG
- Documentation team and the other shop technicians. Work closely with the test drivers, participate at the morning huddle, and provide maintenance updates.
- Insure RG vehicles are safe to operate, and the shop safety is #1 priority
- Minimum five years of experience in electrical systems repairs, maintenance and servicing of commercial vehicles is required. 5-7 years’ experience required.
- Associates Degree or Trade School Certification in Automotive or Diesel Technology is preferred but not required
- Solid understanding and familiarity with commercial vehicle repair & service with emphasis on, Drive Train, Cab, Chassis, Mechatronics electrical systems, including Multi-Plexing systems are required.
- Basic understanding of the commercial vehicle Mechanical systems are required.
- Understanding of engineering processes & their downstream impacts, as well as the ability to read and interpret engineering drawings (GDT knowledge) and electrical schematics is required.
- Experience in commercial vehicles testing is highly desired but not a must.
- Class A commercial Driver license is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Heavy Duty & Medium Duty Detroit and Cummins engines and aftertreatment systems are highly desired.
- Proficiency with client’s computer systems including PartsPro, ViewCad and Product Validation Portal & Manager Plus is preferred.
- Experience with standard shop equipment such as jacks, jack stands, power tools, torque wrench, HVAC machine & Hunter alignment system is preferred.
- Experience with diagnostic tools such as ServiceLink, Cummins InSite, Drumroll, WABCO Toolbox, etc. is highly desired.
- Candidate must have excellent verbal, written and presentation skills and be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of products. Technical command of English language is required.
- Potential candidate must be well organized, extremely detail oriented, ambitious, authentic, and be able to work independently and /or in team settings.
- Has to be capable of efficiently multitasking and work under pressure.
- Candidate has to have a convincing personality and pride in the appearance of their work environment.
- Must your own set of tools, needs to be pretty extensive. If they worked in a mechanic shop before they should have what they need. We provide specialty tooling
- Needs to know how to work on vehicles, oil changes, tires, brakes etc..work.
- Truck experience is a plus
- Needs Basic computer skills for things like Windows, Internet explorer and general computer troubleshooting